Thursday, May 6, 2010

Diango Hernandez


As you can see by the art on the left, Hernandez is a conceptual artist. It even makes me curious as to the ideas behind it!! And honestly I tend not to focus so much on the conceptual ideas of art. I may just be a rebel:) The piece is called "Broken Cinema." Which is a very appropriate name. Its funny because that is kind of what the work reminded me of. It looks like a theater and those almost look like chairs. Its hard to tell. I wish I could find a different picture that was looking straight on because it seems to me like the circles would be incorporated with the way that you see the screen. He is a very famous conceptual artist and has works at different places all over the world. He has been receiving awards for his works since 1990's and is continuing to do so today.
As you can see by the difference in pieces, his works really vary a lot. I find this one interesting on the left because it kind of tells a story. I can see the chairs in the positions of the people that possibly sat in them. It is funny because the more and more I am researching on conceptual artists for this blog I think that I am finding a new light in it. It is taking a lot but I think I can see where his ideas are stemming from.

Hernandez gets his ideas from past experiences in his life. He has a book out about it but basically he began his artistic style when he lived in Cuba and a knife fight broke out in school. One pupil was stabbed to death and supposedly Hernandez found that student's journal that wrote about his love of art and that it began in a museum. He described everything in a way that drew Diango's attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment