Thursday, May 6, 2010

Donald Judd



Okay.. This one I am going to fight with a little bit!
"...Well made furniture in solid wood was made for my building in New York and then in small numbers to sell, as it still is. In '84, I designed some chairs, benches, a table and some beds in sheet metal, which were painted one color to a piece. There were also a couple chairs and a table made of copper. This was for myself, but was also the first furniture to begin as furniture to sell..."
Donald Judd, 1993

I think that the quote above says it all! I was amazed that anyone would actually pay to see his art. It is great because the money he makes and what he does helps schools and funding. He has many different "works" inside of libraries that are to remain permanent which is great. However I would like someone to explain to me why he is considered an artist instead of a damn carpenter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment