Thursday, May 6, 2010

Visual Arts Collective


Visual Arts Collective
To experience the virtual tour click here

This as an art museum that caters to all kinds of art. They have theater, music, films and art. They are very flexible and I really like them. It is located on Chinden and 36th just behind the women of steel gallery. I live right by this museum so it was fun to go check them out just because I have been curious for sometime. What I also found that was great about this museum was that if you get online you can write them to try to get your own art work there. I thought this was great. I think it is great to have a place that is so versatile and truly cares about the local area.
The current feature in this gallery is "We Art Women." Essentially it is a collection of works from women in the Boise and surrounding community area. At first glance you think that it may be a bunch of feminist style work but it is much more than that. I really enjoy the diversity in the art. Each piece appealed to me in a different way. Many of the different artist specialized in different things. Some of the women were into steel and sculpture while others were into painting and other art.
Really none of it had to do with feminism. It was just a chance for the women of Boise to take the stage. One of my favorite pieces in this exhibit was done by Kristie Alberchet. It was done by print making I believe and it is called Bad Pee Wee. It has a bunch of different things on it but what stood out was the Pee Wee Herman doll that looks like someone drew devil horns and a mustache on. I am not sure exactly why it stood out to me but I found that it was really fun and original.



This one here is by Julie Clemons. It is done in colored pencil!! This is amazing art. She did this one in January 2010. It is about 11" by 3". So it is not painfully big but the detail in it would be so crazy if she had done it on a bigger scale. She calls this piece "Photosynthesis." I think she named it appropriately. After seeing this art at the VAC I got online and found out that she attended Boise State University in the 1980's and has local art placed all over like at Hyde Park. I thought this was pretty neat.


The art gallery itself is pretty traditional. It is set up with different works with recessed lighting and a white wall background. I think that it is very appropriate for the place because it offers so many variations of art and styles that to be taken seriously as an art gallery as well, this look is appropriate. I think that the pieces are set up as groups of collections and is visually appealing to the audience. There are times where the paintings are for sale and there are auctions for them, but I also think that the main objective is to display the art, not just sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment